Ok, so some of ya'll requested a blog, so I thought I'd give it a try. (And turns out this is going to be the best way for me to communicate, because cell service is real sketchy for me.)Where to begin...? So much has happened in the last two weeks.
My adventures began early Monday morning May 23 as Mom and Dad in one car, and I in another set out for them to lead me down to Toccoa, GA for orientation. After about 12 hours, we finally made it to the conference center late. As the drive kept going on and on, I began to wonder if were ever going to make it there and if I was even doing the right thing by coming. I've just finished reading the book Radical by David Platt, and I've felt convicted that I need to go, and I need to share Jesus. I need to stop doing what is easy and comfortable. I felt really certain God was calling me to come, yet suddenly I was filled with doubt, because Satan is the father of lies, and as humans we're prone to listen to them. However, once I finally arrived and began to listen to the speaker talk about removing distractions and serving God, and after we were released for the night to go to our rooms and I began to get to know my teammate and roommate, Heather, I began to feel reassured I was where I was supposed to be. The next day, I had a chance to get to know my teammates even more, and with the bond that was growing already, I began to believe Colton, Matthew, Heather, and I were going to make a great team. I could sense this was all by the hand of God with much prayer going into this summer in advance on behalf of each of my teammates, and by Keith and Stephanie, our supervisors (both of whom are just as wonderful as my team). In addition, God chose to already start getting me out of my comfort zone by helping lead worship our last morning there. Along with that, I got to meet many of the other summer missionaries who are serving all over GA this summer, and I really enjoyed that, because it allowed me to see the work they will get to do and the impact we can have together on the state of GA this summer. They also gave some interesting stats about GA that I found intriguing: something like GA has a population of about 9 million people with about 4 million living in Atlanta alone. All of this just impressed upon me how God wants to impact this state this summer.
After orientation ended Wed, my team and I made the trip to Helen, GA where I am serving for the summer. We began our own team orientation for the next few days after arrival. The first day, Heather and I had our first experience of the types of things you think of when you're being a summer missionary. I went to open up the freezer door, and looked down to find the back end of a rat hanging out underneath it. Fortunately it was already dead, and Colton was such a good sport and carried it outside for us...but it left us with this fantastic stink for several days. Saturday we did our first outreach at a BBQ festival. Our task was to watch the jump houses and talk with the people there. Saturday was also my first day working at Damron's gift shop. I will be working there four evenings a week as a cashier. I've really enjoyed getting to know the family, and I've also enjoyed talking with the customers. I'm so thankful God has placed me at this shop this summer, and the family atmosphere is so similar to working at My Daddy's Cheesecake, I felt comfortable right away.
There's so much more to share, but I'll leave it with that for now. I'm so excited about the opportunities to come, and we have a packed week ahead.
Going with God each step of the way.
It's so great to read how the Lord has guided you thus far sister! Isn't it the greatest place to be? Filled with excitement and nervousness topped with His peace. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your journey with us! I can't wait to see how the Lord uses you and your team for His glory to reach His children in the mission field right here on our home soil.
So proud of you!!!
luv, hugs n prayers <3 Jenn